Tuesday, May 19, 2020

X-Files Returns!

I originally posted this on an old blog back in 2016, I decided to repost it today because the final X-Files episode of the original run aired on May 19, 2002.


This is a spoiler free zone, so read with confidence that I haven't ruined anything about the  new episodes.

I cannot fully explain just how excited that I am that the X-Files have returned to television with all new episodes.  Granted it's only 6, but still that's 6 new hours with Mulder and Scully!  I have worked very hard to avoid any and all released footage, news, spoilers, and everything about the new series.
Obviously it's impossible to avoid everything but I have succeeded for the most part. 

I remember watching it when the series originally debuted I was 14 years old, the perfect age to absorb a show like this, I never missed a week!  Back before re-runs and the on-demand TV world we live in now people bought books that were episode guides recapping and breakdown each episode.  When it came to the X-Files I owned those books.  I even bought a few of the VHS releases before there was DVD. 

As much of a devoted fan as I was the later seasons that didn't feature Mulder weren't as good to me but I never missed and episode.  I watched both movies in the theater.  Currently I own all 9 seasons from when they were originally released and both movies on DVD.  They have since re-released the seasons with different packaging and lacking the bonus features for the majority of the seasons.  I also own the Lone Gunmen season on DVD. 

I have watched the first episode 2 times now and while the 2008 movie was good but a bit of a disappointment, this first episode is nothing but amazing!

First off they use the original opening and then they jump right into the deep end of the pool with both feet tackling the alien conspiracy and government cover up mythology.  So much is packed into this episode it feels much longer than the 43 minutes that it is.  The episode ends very strong!

Episode 2 is on Hulu now so I will be going to watch that one and I will be right back.  

BRILLIANT! 

Classic monster of the week episode, I know I said it was spoiler free, but it's just one spoiler, it's their first case officially back with the FBI.  Written and directed by James Wong who wrote some of the best episodes on the original run along with Glen Morgan. Scully and Mulder's son William is touched upon in this episode.

Back in the day I found an address for the X-Files production office on the internet and mailed both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson and letter and I got official X-Files photos signed by both, not pre-prints like they started sending out once the show exploded.

I cannot wait to see what the next four episodes have for us.  

Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment