Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Christopher Pike, the author not the captain

It's amazing how some memories stand out to you.  When I was 11 my Nana took me to the Little Professor Book Store at the Topsham Fair Mall here in Maine.  I was staying at her house for the week and she thought it would be nice if I had a book to read.

I ended up picking out a young adult horror novel called Die Softly by Christopher Pike.  It's about a teenager who wants to take photos of the cheerleaders in the locker room and his camera captures more than he could imagine.


I loved the book reading it in two days and I was hooked on his work.  My Nana took me back and bought me two more that week.  Over the next few years with her help I managed to buy all his previously published books.  Even into my 20's I would get his new releases as they came out.  They weren't all gold, some were better than others, but I always enjoyed them.  Even today I get the urge to read them once in a while, they are a quick and nostalgic read.

My collection of books was ruined in 2008 when my basement flooded with four feet of water. So I only have a couple of his books.  When you go to current book stores they have his newer work which I haven't even tried to read.  Also I've noticed they've made collections of his work.  Like The Final Friend's Series was three books that they have made into one large omnibus.

The urge hit and I wanted to read Whisper of Death again.  Honestly I can't recall the whole story, I know it's about two teens who go out of town for an abortion and when they return everyone has disappeared.


I looked it upon and found I could buy a copy anywhere from $64.95 to $851.90!!  I'm not kidding!    Many of those mass market paperbacks that I owned that came out from 1985 - early 1990's are going for a decent price.  Not all, but a lot of them.  Whisper of Death seems to be a very hard one to find for some reason.

Hopefully we can go to yard sales and flea markets again some day and I can get some of these books on the cheap.

By the way, Christopher Pike is a pseudonym naming himself after the original captain of the USS Enterprise before Kirk.

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment