Friday, May 8, 2020

Movie Review: The Burning

I posted this previously on one of my old blogs, I'm reposting it today because the movie was originally released 39 years ago today, May 8, 1981. 


Directed by: Tony Maylam
Written by: Peter Lawrence & Bob Weinstein
Release date: May 8, 1981

I discovered this gem of a flick on netflix one night and added it to my queue. After watching it today I cant believe I had never seen or heard of this movie before.  It was filmed in 1980 during the slasher flick craze thanks to the popularity of Halloween, Friday the 13th and others.

The cast includes the feature film debuts of Jason AlexanderHolly Hunter, & Fisher Stevens.  Stevens is one of those actors that you don't know his name but recognize the face, he has been in just about everything.

Fisher Stevens
The movies takes place, where else, at a summer camp where our killer, Cropsy, slashes and hacks his way through the terrified campers.  This flick has all the hallmarks of similar movies of it's time.

Psychopathic killer created by a prank gone wrong years earlier now finally getting his revenge. Cropsy - Lou David
Irresponsible camp counselors - Brian Matthews Leah Ayres
Douche bag over the top bully - Larry Joshua
Outcast nerd tormented by said bully - Brian Backer
Gratuitous nudity - Carrick Glenn & Carolyn Houlihan.  There is some naked male ass for the ladies!
And lots of gore, blood, and creative killings thanks to special effects master Tom Savini!

 All in all it's pretty solid well worth checking out if you like slasher flicks!  Here's the trailer.

Until Next Time

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my list of "need to see slashers" along with Intruder. It's a film that seems to get very little love and from what I hear is really good! I wish they'd put it back on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my short list of movies that I need to buy.

    ReplyDelete