Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Book Club: Things I Can't Explain Chapters 17 & 18

Welcome to the Things I Can't Explain Book Club, this post I'm looking at chapters 17 & 18.  You can read my buddy Brandon's thoughts on the chapters here.  You and read about the other chapters by looking at this blogs past posts.

Chapter 17: We get some history behind Clarissa's feud with Genelle as well as what happened on that faithful night of the one year reunion.  Evidently Genelle used to date Sam and at this party she was determined to get Sam, which didn't go well for her.  Sam and Clarissa left the party together and ended up having sex in Sam's Dad's pick up truck.  Genelle text's her again and wants to meet up for girl chat.   

Thoughts:  The author was a bit more detailed than I expected reading about Clarissa and Sam's sexual encounter.  I realize he is writing this for an older audience, the one that grew up on Clarissa and are now adults and not kids.  Still though when I think of Clarissa it's as a teenager struggling through her teens.  We also never find out what Genelle wants to talk about.

Chapter 18: Working on her article for Dartmoor, Clarissa goes down to Norm's manufacturing headquarters.  She is pleasantly surprised to meet his team including a capable accountant and his business appears to be booming.  After spending the day getting what she needs she saunters around getting a coffee, taco, and some chocolate before stumbling across Nick's studio HeadSpace.  While she is frozen in her own brain over Nick still having a girlfriend a very tough looking girl comes out of the studio and of course Clarissa is now wondering if this is the mystery girl.  The chapter ends with Genelle texting Clarissa again and Clarissa finally agreeing to meet with her. 

Until Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree. The sexual discussion in this book is hard to wrap my head around. Its just so hard not to picture Clarissa as a teenager and I think even in my head I'm picturing her as Sabrina, all innocent and slightly grown up.

    ReplyDelete