Thursday, June 11, 2020

Kindle Fire 10

Last month I ordered a Kindle Fire 10 even though I hadn't planned on buying one.  We had three old kindle fire sevens, two of them wouldn't even turn on anymore and a third one did work but no one had used it in over a year.  Amazon has a kindle trade in upgrade program where you send in your old fires, they give you $5 for a broken one and $10 for a working one plus 20% off a new fire.

You an only mail in two at a time so I sent in the working one and a nonworking one with the intention of getting the crap out of my house and getting a $15 amazon gift card to buy more crap.  Well once they processed through and I got my gift card and 20% off for shiggles I looked to see how much a new Fire 10 would cost me.

Turns out they were on sale from $149.99 to $109.99 and with my 20% off it came down to $87.99, minus the gift card and now we are at $72.99.  I could't pass that up!  Only catch was that they were out of stock on all but the white one, I didn't want a white one, so I bought the black one with the knowledge that it would get here when it got here.  Amazon eventually told me that, that day would be June 20th, more than a month away at that time.

Turns out it was an overestimation because the Fire 10 arrived on June 6th. I spent the morning of June 7th installing the Google play store, downloading all my apps and signing into everything.  The sounds a picture quality over the Fire 8 is amazing.  Also reading comic books on it a full page at a time is really, really awesome.

In recent weeks on Comixology I have taken advantage of some deals they had, a bunch of a free trades and single issues on free comic book day plus when the movie Scoob came out they had 9 free trades of Scooby-Doo team up and over 150 free single issues.  So if you check my Comixology app I have 557 books to read.  That's exciting and it's going to take me a long time!

It's been a few days now since I've gotten it and I do find many things I like about it more than the Fire 8.  For instance other than reading comics and watching shows and movies on it I've been using it for reading blogs.  I've read a few different ones for years and but only read them on my computer because I didn't like how the 8 formatted them on the screen. 

This weekend we are going camping and there is no WiFi or cell reception which is a benefit to make my kids disconnect.  In the past I've downloaded offline maps on my phone when we've gone to Canada so I can map routes with no service, granted you get no traffic notifications but it's a good tool.  I'm going to try that on the tablet just to see how it works so in the future when we go to Canada again I have a bigger screen to look at for mapping purposes. 

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment