Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Concert: The Heavy Heavy



July 27, 2023 Lark Hall, Albany New York

Back in early July Kate and I were at Fat Boy Drive-In in Brunswick for dinner when she asked if we could go to Bull Moose as she wanted to get a CD.  I asked which band and she said The Heavy Heavy, I responded that I love that band.  She said she thought they just played in Maine and I thought the concert was upcoming.

We checked their schedule and they had a show coming up on August 8th at Thompson's Point opening for Band of Horses and The Revivalist.  Tickets, with fees were like $66 each and even though the venue is nice, the parking is terrible.  Band of Horses is cool and we don't know enough of the Revivalist to spend that kind of money.  Kate said, maybe they will be in the Albany are while we are there.  I scrolled up ans sure enough they were set to play at Lark Hall in Albany on Thursday July 27th.  We bought tickets straight away and with fee's it was $49.10 total!

If you'd like to read about our whole vacation you can here: Spectacular 10th Anniversary Vacation Extravaganza!!! 

We got downtown and found parking at the church for $6 just up the road from the venue a short distance.  Doors opened at 7pm with a schedule start time at8pm, but Free Range went on a bit late. 



 Lark Hall was built in 1916 by the Daughters of the Eastern Star, I think they are linked to the Freemasons.   The venue is gorgeous inside, the performance floor is on the second floor, with tall ceilings and mezzanine area.  The floor holds 250 and the mezzanine 50, I would guess 75 - 100 people where there that night and they were treated to an unbelievable show. 






While waiting we checked out the merch, Kate bought a t-shirt, I'm jealous as I REALLY like the white one but they only go to 2XL and I need 3.  I did get a sweet pin for my pin wall here at work though!


  We sat on one of the pews for the opening act, Free Range.  They were decent, not my favorite flavor of music but they put on a solid set for about 45 minutes.  



They Heavy Heavy are a Brighton, UK based band, their website boasts "The Heavy Heavy are a 5 piece retro inspired rock band, making the music the sixties forgot-with bombastic soul and peaceful goals."  Kate once said there style reminds her of The Mama's & The Papa's, and I get that.  


They took the stage and they sounded AMAZING!  We were only a few feet from the stage, and you could just feel the music.  The harmonies were outstanding.  They played several songs that we knew form their Life and Life Only EP, and the ones we didn't were still awesome. 

We danced, we sang with gusto, we had a tremendous time.  


I'm not sure of the setlist, I found this one online and they are missing a track, but this seems correct.  

1. Parakeets
2. Purple Flowers
3. Man of the Hills
4. All My Dreams
5. Go Down River
6. Dirt
7. All I Need
8. Real Love Baby
9. 
10. One of a Kind
11. Miles and Miles

I could have listened to them play for hours.  After the show Georgie Fuller and Will Turner, the two main members of the band went to the merch table, I bought their album and got that signed.  Kate told them that Go Down River is her new favorite song, Georgie mentioned she saw us out of the corner of her eye singing with that song and how we so into the "I've got your back" line.  She seemed excited that we were into the show.  I regret not asking to get a photo with them, I won't forget next time.


I want to see them again so bad!  I'd even go to Thompson's Point and deal with the horrid parking if we could make it work out.  

I found this video on YouTube that someone made of the show, if you go to 5:47 mark of the video I pretty sure you can see the moment Georgie mentioned.  You can see the silhouette of Kate and during that line it looks like Georgie is look right at us and she cracks a smile after the line.  



I still can't believe we got to such an amazing band in such an intimate setting, it will be hard to top this show. 

Until Next Time!



No comments:

Post a Comment