Wednesday, November 18, 2020

My First Con: Supermegasfest 2006

Reading my buddy Brandon's posts about his experience going to Wizard World in Chicago in 2016 has me thinking about my own convention experiences.  

Back on November 18, 2006 my buddy Jay and I went to Supermegafest in Framingham, Massachusetts.  Supermegafest is typically a one or two day convention at the Framingham Sheraton Hotel.  Neither Jay nor I had ever been to a convention of any kind before and there were a lot of celebrities there that we both wanted to meet.

I made the drive to his house in Wales, Maine early that morning and then we headed south to the show.  We stopped for breakfast on the way at the Cracker Barrel and got to the convention right at start time.  There were many people there that I wanted to meet but the "con" prices shocked me.  I had meet several wrestlers before at wrestling events and typically they charge like $5 to sign a card for you and then take a picture for free, here at the convention it was $30 for a combo which I couldn't justify.  However there was two people that I wanted to meet and, unlike the wrestlers that I thought I would meet again someday I didn't want to miss out on meeting Casandra Peterson and Yvonne Craig. 

The main draw that day was Billy Dee Williams but it was $60 for a photo, again compared to today's prices a steal but back then it was just t o much.   My buddy and I were sitting in the break area with a snack and Billy Dee was walking directly towards us, no doubt to a door that lead out back as he had yet to come out for his signing and appearance, he was just getting a water.

Anyhow, as he nears us I say, "Hello Mr. Williams. How are today?'

He replied "Doing good fella's, do-ing good." Looking over his sunglasses with a smile and a nod without breaking his stride.

I usually don't get starstruck, I manage to stay calm a level-headed 99% of the time, it's because of my job as a 911 dispatcher. However, Billy Dee Williams is so friggin' cool and there must be something about his voice because, apparently, everything he says is smooth. Not to mention it's Lando friggin' Calrissian!!!

The convention was in one large ballroom with the vendors and celebrities and the snack area in a separate room, also there were vendors in the hallway leading to the convention room.  By today's standards this was very small and intimate.  

I got wrestling cards signed by Virgil, Captain Lou Albano, & "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff.  Ironically I have never meet Albano nor Orndorff since this show and Albano passed away in 2009.   Jay was super excited to meet Jane Wiedlin of the Go-Go's and she played the singing telegram lady in the movie Clue.  She was very sweet and super nice to talk too.  

We looked at several vendor tables, the only thing I recall buying was a one shot comic Saw: Rebirth which was a prequel to the first film.  

I did meet Yvonne Craig, who is best known for playing Batgirl in the 1960's movies.  I'm a big fan of her from that series.  I have her book, From Ballet to the Batcave and Beyond, and asked her to sign it, she checked the book and noted that I had a bad copy and exchanged it for another one.  Apparently a who batch printed with faulty binding and the center color pages would fall out.  She signed my book and I get this picture taken with her.  


She had a chair next to her for fans to sit in, I do wish she wasn't in front of mirrors.  She was very kind and gave all the time I wanted to talk about the Batman series.  Please forgive my facial hair it was a very regrettable experiment.  

Jay and I both got signed photo's and our picture taken with Cassandra Peterson, better known as Elvira.  She was not in her Elvira costume, which would have been cool.  Her line had been very long through out the day and we finally got to her after she had been there a few hours and she couldn't have been nicer to us and was very approachable.


We only saw a few people in cosplay through-out the day.  For my first convention this was an eye opening experience and it educated me as to what to be prepared for in the future.

Until Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post and what a great first con. I miss the smaller more intimate cons that were also much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the smaller cons myself, back before going to a CON became a cash grab.

      Delete