Sunday, November 22, 2020

A Shooting Star or a Meteor

 The other night, Tuesday November 17th, I work evening shift at dispatch getting out of work at about 11 pm.  Walking towards my van I do what I always do walking outside on a clear night which is look up at the sky.  I absolutely love looking at the night sky, there is just something magical about it and it doesn't get old for me. 

On this night walking to my van I saw a bright light shoot across the sky!  It happened fast and when I saw it I yelled out "a shooting star!"  but no one else saw it.  It was big and bright and seemed to get bigger and brighter as it went leaving a streak of light for a tail behind it.  And then, just like that, poof it was gone.  It was marvelous!

My initial reaction was that it was a shooting star, but it looked to big and too low for that.  I stood there for several minutes with my eyes darting around the night sky and didn't see another one.  A quick google search showed me that the Leonids Meteor shower was at peak the night of the 16th into the 17th so my thought is that it was a remnant from the Leonids.  

I want to go to one of the places that is certified Dark Sky parks so I can see the night sky with no light pollution.  https://www.darksky.org/our-work/conservation/idsp/finder/  There is one in Maine, but I've been there during the day time and it's not a place you want to drive at night.  The "roads" are not great.  

I've always wanted to be able to take pictures of the night sky, I even bought a really nice camera but I really don't know how to use it proper.  I've read stuff online but I really thinks I need to take a class on it and have someone look at my camera.  I wanted to take an Adult Ed class on it, and once I finished my college classes I was going to, but you know, Covid.  Luckily there's still time. 

Until Next Time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment