Monday, April 13, 2020

My son's introduction to Kevin Smith

This past weekend was my weekend with the kids.  My son Canaan asked me if on Saturday night after Kate goes to bed if I wanted to watch a movie or play some Xbox, I went with movie and he chose wanted something funny.  Then it became what to watch, I mean he is 14 years old and he's at the right age to start sharing him with what I think are fantastic classic movies.


In what can only be called a rite of passage I busted out my Clerks 10th anniversary edition.  The first time I watched Clerks was, ironically, when I was working at a video store, Movie Gallery, when I was 20 years old.  I fell in love with the flick and became a huge fan of Kevin Smith.

I quickly rented and later bought Mallrats and Chasing Amy his then named Jersey Trilogy.  I loved how different each movie was and how they all tied together.  It was unique and long before the Marvel Cinematic Universe became a thing and other companies started doing it, Kevin Smith had created his own cinematic universe.

My son's first reaction was "is this whole thing in black and white?"  I answered yes but explained why, how Smith had financed the movie himself and how black and white film was cheaper than color.  At the end he laughed at the right moments, got the long winded jokes, and loved the movie!  Mission accomplished.

He's excited to check out Smith's other movies and I have the good ones for us to watch!


Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment