Monday, April 20, 2020

Eight Weeks Post Op

This morning, Monday April 20, 2020, it has been eight weeks since my gastric sleeve surgery.  What a two months it has been at that!  This morning I weighed in at 328 lbs, which is a loss of 42 lbs since surgery and 64 pounds over all since I started this long journey a year ago.

It was a February 2019 that my doctor recommended that I have this surgery, she stated that I checked all the boxes for someone that should have it and would benefit from it health wise.  On top of being very overweight I have sleep apnea and was a type 2 Diabetic.  She put in the referral and away I went.

I had to have the initial visit, met with the nutritionist seven times and the appointments had to be at least a month apart, met with the psychologist twice, met with the surgeon twice, had to have an EKG, chest x-ray, full lab work with 13 vials of blood, and and EGD.  This was all before my insurance would approve me for surgery.

For those that don't know an EKG or Electrocardiogram is test that takes and 8 second look at your heart.  It takes like 10 minutes for them to put all the electrodes on you.  I had to have one done a week after surgery and a different person did it.  The first time they had me take my pants off and put two electrodes on each leg, second time just one on my lower legs only so I only had to pull my pants  legs up.  The upper body was the same both times.  I'm always curious why things like this are done two different ways, who did it right, who did it wrong, does it matter either way? 

An EGD or Esophagogastroduodenoscopy is a procedure where they put a camera down your throat to look at your esophagus, stomach, and top of your small intestine.  Luckily I was put under for this procedure.

Six months prior to surgery I tried really hard, harder than I had ever tried before to lose weight on my own and only lost 6 pounds.  It was so frustrating, but my doctor was right when she said because of my medications and how messed up my body is from my years of abusing it that I just wasn't going to lose weight.  In those six months thought I took my daily blood sugar from near 300 to 120 and my A1C from 9.6 to 6.8 so I know what I was doing was making me healthier even if the scale didn't reflect it.

My doctor took me off my insulin just before surgery, and on April 10th I had my A1C checked and it is 4.9!  So I am no longer diabetic and off all my diabetes medications!  Next month I have to have full set of labs done again before me three month follow up. 

Gastric Sleeve surgery was not an easy road, it was not the easy way out, and that first month post surgery was miserable. Today I don't regret it at all and I'm looking forward how this continues to progress.  It's weird to discover how much easier it is to do certain things that I was able to do before but didn't realize how much effort I had to put in to do them. 

Until Next Time! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment