Tuesday, June 29, 2021

End of June

Yo!

I really can't believe the last day of June is tomorrow.  The first half of 2021 has just rocketed right by, whereas it seems 2020 dragged endlessly.  We are still feeling the effects of the pandemic, in different ways now.  Maine will end it's State of Emergency tomorrow, June 30th, the US/Canada Border is still closed to non essential travel, and my AEW Dynamite show has been pushed back fourth time to October 27, 2021 more than 18 months after it was originally supposed to happen!

I had a busy week last week, they've all been busy with my new position at work.  I'm not complaining, mind you, because this is what I wanted I'm just still adjusting to everything.  I went to two live wrestling shows last week, Friday & Saturday and they were both excellent.  Friday was the Limitless Dojo Student Showcase and Saturday was the return of a full Limitless show.  I shed tears twice Saturday night because of the rasslins.

My buddy Brandon started a new short from podcast Break Time With Brandon which you can find on Spotify and soon other platforms.  The episodes are short, about 10 minutes each, and it's him reflecting on his thoughts.  A recent episode he talks about the time he was driving over the mountains through the night and lost cell reception so his stream stopped.  He turn on the radio and discovered Coast to Coast, and not to my surprise, he loved it.  

It got me thinking back to my early days of dispatching at the city of Augusta in 2001 - 2003.  At that time we didn't have cell phones, tablets, or any electronic devices, hell we didn't have a TV or even internet on the computers in the center, it wasn't secure.  I was assigned to the midnight shift and from midnight to 630am I was all alone in the center.  All I had was a radio and used to listen to Coast to Coast every night.

I first discovered Coast to Coast in 1996 when I was in high school and worked the overnight at the gas station in the travel plaza on the Maine Turnpike.  I listened to it occasionally over the years after that but it was while working those early dispatch years that I became a regular.

For those that don't know, Coast to Coast is a late night talk show style format with guests and listeners calling in, but the topics are paranormal and conspiracy based.  Another cool aspect about the show that I dug for another reason was the opening theme was the song "The Chase" from the soundtrack to the movie Midnight Express, which also was the theme song used by one of the greatest wrestling tag teams of all time, The Midnight Express.

I have listened to Coast to Coast occasionally since then, they have a podcast version of the show, but it's not complete episodes unless you want to pay a monthly subscription fee.  

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment