Thursday, December 24, 2020

Twas the Night Before Christmas

This is one of my all-time favorite Christmas specials…


‘Twas The Night Before Christmas
Original Air Date - December 8, 1974 on CBS
Rankin/Bass

This special has aired every year since its first broadcast on CBS until 1994 and on the now ABC Family since 1995. 

I recorded it off of TV probably 20 years ago now so my copy is rough.  A few years back I bought a commercial release but they had cut a song from it, I can only assume because they said the word gay in it.  I’m actually watching it right now on You Tube, it’s a very good copy and it is complete with each song.

It’s about the town of Junctionville, NY where mice and humans live in harmony.  Essentially a letter in the local paper calls Santa a myth, Santa takes exception and returns all their letters.  Local clock maker Joshua Trundle tries to make the clock at the town office play a magical song on midnight at Christmas pleading for Santa to forgive and come see them.  Father mouse’s son Albert, who also wrote the scathing letter, accidentally breaks the clock causing the Trundle family to fall on hard times.  In the end Albert races against time to try and fix it.

Rankin/Bass are very well known for their much beloved stop motion Christmas specials including Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer and Santa Claus is Coming’ To Town as well as many other animated and stop motion specials for various holidays.

Take the 24 minutes to watch this, it’ll be worth your time!


Last year I was looking on ebay for Christmas record albums and I came across Twas The Night Before Christmas on vinyl.  At first I thought it was just the songs, but once I put i on my turn table I found out that it was the entire special.  It's pretty damn awesome!  The fact that it's a Disneyland record is funny to me. 


Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment