Sunday, January 10, 2021

Right Leg Surgery

On Thursday January 7th I had surgery on my right leg to remove varicose veins that I have had for years.  My doctor, and the vascular surgeon, agreed that my varicose veins were caused by my weight and now that I've lost close to 100 pounds it's time to do something about them.  

I had my initial appointment back at the beginning of December where the vascular surgeon was impressed with how good the varicose veins in both my legs were.  As he stated, good as in bad, they were real bad.  The right leg was worse that my left, however, they both caused me pain and discomfort and they itch.  Also on my right leg it goes right over my right knee making it very difficult for me to kneel down on my right knee.

On Christmas Eve I had an ultrasound on both of my legs and the ultrasound tech was also very impressed with just how bad my veins were.  Apparently people come in with varicose veins that are just cosmetic in nature and they feel it's a waste of resources for people that actual have an issue.

I got to the hospital just after 6 am and was by home by 1 pm.  The doctor made on large incision at the top of my leg to tie off the vein and then made 15 smaller incisions down my leg to remove the offending veins.  The smaller incisions are larger than I thought they would be and I'll be interested in what scarring I have.   I came home with a compression wrap from my foot to my upper thigh, I was able to remove it after 24 hours and even with the swelling and bruising my leg looks much better. 

I'm be going  back to work tomorrow, Monday, and it's going to be a long but doable day.  I probably could have work from home part of the day Friday but decided to just elevate my leg and relax.  I'll have surgery on my left leg probably early February.

The only downside is I can't work out for a week or so after surgery until my leg is healed and I was in such a pattern of working out that I don't want to fall off that wagon.

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment