Friday, July 17, 2020

My Fandom: The X-Files

I have been a fan of the X-File since episode one!  I was 14 years old on Friday September 10, 1993 when the Pilot episode aired and I was hooked!  I didn't miss an episode for next nine years when the season 9 finale aired on May 19, 2002.  If I wasn't going to be home to watch the episode I would tape it and watch it at my earliest convenience.

After I got my first computer the first message board I joined was wrestling related, but the second was and X-Files group and the discussions got heated.  I saw Fight for the Future in the theaters twice, opening night and then a couple weeks later before it was pulled.  I even saw I Want To Believe in the theater twice, I was that hard up for new X-Files material. 

I even wrote both Gillian Anderon and David Duchovny fan letters and got signed photos back from both of them.  They are not pre-prints but actual signatures on official X-Files photos.  I feel fortunate because not too long after I got mine other I knew from the discussion boards started getting pre-prints.
Today I still have my signed photos and I have Fox Mulder and Dana Scully action figures.  


After season three I bought the Official Companion so I could read about the episodes, all the little facts and relive some of my favorite moments.  I really miss books like this, I'm not even sure they still make them for new TV shows.

Later in life, after the series had ended, I started buying all the complete seasons on DVD.  I own all 9 original seasons on DVD and I've watched them all multiple times.  Of course I own the two films, on blu ray and I have seasons 10 & 11 on blu ray as well.

I was beyond excited when the 2008 I Want To Believe film was released, Although I enjoyed it, honestly it wasn't that good.  I also was extremely excited for the revival of seasons 10 & 11.  Although not perfect it did produce some awesome episodes with Mulder & Scully updated for today. 

I bought the season 1 trading cards set and I have sent many out to be signed.  I'd still like to get more signed.  I do hope to someday meet David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson in person someday at a convention.
  

My love for Chris Carters work on the X-Files lead me to watching Harsh Realms, Millennium, and of The Lone Gunmen.  I own them all on DVD as well.  

I've never read any of the X-Files books, but I have read the hell out of the comics and own several trade collections.  I doubt that we will ever any new episodes of the X-Files, maybe another film?  I think we are lucky that we got the sixteen more episodes, that's more than some shows will ever give us. 

Until Next Time!

1 comment:

  1. I did the total opposite of you. I remember the hype and didn't give it the time of day. I loved the theme song and that 90's conspiracy theory vibe (remember when conspiracy theories were fun!?) but I just never gave it a chance. I always recall listening to some kids on the bus going on and on in seventh grade about The X-Files and Buffy, but I was too busy watching sports at that time.

    Then back in 2015, I finally started making my way through. It only took an episode to really get me hooked. I loved everything about that show and while I've struggled to finish those last couple of seasons, The X-Files is still one of my favorite shows that I've watched.

    It's flawed at times, but when its good, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete