Thursday, February 11, 2021

My Left Leg

Yesterday, February 10, I had surgery on my left leg to remove multiple varicose veins from my left leg.  The same procedure I had in January on my right leg.  The good part is that I know what to expect this time for any complications.  What's odd to me is how different the process went this time than last time.

The check in process was the same, and the prep in my room was also the same.  When speaking to the anesthesiologist I told him about my vomiting when I woke up on the way to and in recovery.  He gave me Dramamine before and changed up my drug cocktail.  I was very pleased with that as when I woke up I had no nausea and recovered quickly from it leaving two hours earlier than last time.

When the brought me into the operating room last time I transferred over to the table they began to strap me down and then I was out and the next thing I knew I was throwing up into the hands of some poor nurse.  This time I got brought in, transferred, strapped down, then they put a circulation book on my right leg and started shaving my left.  Nothing was negative it was just longer before I was put under.  

Finally the way my left leg was wrapped and bandaged was completely different than my right.  I'm not complaining about anything just musing at the differences to essentially the same procedure.  In recovery I was looking at my toes and with out my glasses asked why was all over them, the nurse said blood and noted something about blood going everywhere.  Not sure if she was joking or I was still in a misunderstanding haze.

On the plus side, as this leg heals I'll be better prepared on how to handle it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment