Monday, June 29, 2020

My Fandom: Signed Photos

After the Jim Davis letter came in the mail it scratched an itch that I didn't know I had.  Prior to this I never though about writing a celebrity, much likely asking for a signed photo.  The first ever signed photo that I got in the mail was from Yvonne Craig, the former Batgirl from the the 1960's Batman television series.  My favorite episodes of the series were the ones with Batgirl.


I got this photo in 1998 and hung it on my wall in the wrestling room.  To me this is just and amazing photo!  It's personalized, It's a very nice signature, I love the yellow backdrop, and she looks downright amazing in her costume!  November 18, 2006 I attended my first ever convention, Supermegafest in Framingham, Massachusetts.
 
please ignore my horrific facial hair
There I got to meet Ms. Craig in person and even got my picture taken with her.  I had purchased her book when it came out so I had her sign it for me.  I got several wrestling cards signed that day and even met Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira.  She was not dressed up as Elvira but I did get my picture taken with her.  I even had a brief interaction with Lando Calrissian himself Billy Dee Williams

Over the years I sent several more requests for photos, some of my favorites include Nick Castle, Joey D'Auria, and Wendy Richard.  But my all time favorite was from one of the greatest writers of all time Ray Bradbury.


I never expected to get a photo or anything signed by him, but I truly love this photo.


I bought this photo from a shop in York Beach, Maine and sent it to Mr. Castle.  As you can see he played the Shape or Michael Myers in the original Halloween.  He also wrote Escape from New York and directed Major Payne.


Joey D'Auria was the last person to play Bozo the Clown on WGN out of Chicago from 1984 - 2001.  Bozo the Clown debuted in a children's book in 1946 and became a television show in 1949.  Several actors portrayed Bozo the Clown over the years.  Each market had their own Bozo, for instance in Boston Frank Avruch was Bozo from 1959 - 1970 while at the same time in Chicago Bob Bell was Bozo from 1960 - 1984.  At one time in the 1970's there was as many as 50 local market Bozo the clown shows with different actor portraying the clown.


Wendy Richard starred as Mrs. Brahms in one of my all time favorite television shows.  I really need to buy the DVD or Bluray complete series.

I stopped collecting 8 x 10's years ago and I haven't written a celebrity asking for one in more than 15 years I bet as I mail out trading cards now.  However I have gotten a couple in the last few weeks.  I mailed trading cards to both Cyndi Lauper and Harrison Ford.  I got a nice 8 x 10 back from Mrs. Lauper, along with my card unsigned and from Mr. Ford two pre-print 5 x 7's with a letter saying as much as he'd like too he just doesn't have time to sign everything he is sent.  I didn't expect to get anything back at all from Harrison Ford. 

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment