Saturday, July 4, 2020

Great American Fourth of July

A little known tradition of mine is to sit down and watch the classic American Playhouse special The Great American Fourth of July and other Disasters on the 4th of July.  American Playhouse was an anthology series that aired in PBS for thirteen seasons from 1982 - 1996.


Based on the works of and narrated by Jean Shepherd this was originally broadcast on March 16, 1982.  Shepherd is one of my favorite authors, I own all five of his books.  You are probably most familiar with his film A Christmas Story, about Ralphie Parker and his family as he pines for a carbine action 200 shot range model Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

I was first introduce to Jean Shepherd from this movie.  One day I noticed in the credits that the movie was based on the book "In God We Trust, All Other's Pay Cash." So of course I bought the book and absolutely loved it.  Over the years I bought his other books, and some CD's.  Shepherd was an amazing storyteller of what was life in his childhood.  Shepherd has many other stories adapted to television and movies, none of them as popular as A Christmas Story.

1976 - The Phantom of the Open Hearth
1982 - Great American Fourth of July and Other Disasters
1983 - A Christmas Story
1985 - The Star-Crossed Romance of Josephine Cosnowski
1988 - Ollie Hopnoodle's Haven of Bliss
1994 - My Summer Story

All the movies are narrated by Jean Shepherd and he was involved in their production.  I have book leg versions of all except A Christmas Story and My Summer Story.   I'm pretty sure you can find them on YouTube to watch.  They are worth it, also Shepherds books are well worth your time to read. 

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment