Friday, February 19, 2021

The Muppet Show

Today is an amazing day as all five seasons of The Muppet Show (1977 - 1981) are available on Disney+ for the first time! Seasons 1, 2, & 3 were released on home video but seasons 4 & 5 have not been, although a few episodes of those seasons were released via the Time Life Home Video series.  I never bought the individual seasons as I was as I was waiting for the complete series to come out.  

From the original opening sequence

I have never seen every episode of the Muppet Show before, I can't say for sure how many I have seen, but I am going to watch them in order.   I loved this show as a kid watching it on Saturday and Sunday mornings in reruns and syndication.  I've been a Muppet fan my whole life.  When I was 12 I went to Disney World and attended the Muppet Show Muppet Vision 3D, it was amazing!

Currently I'm watching the first episode with my youngest and Wesley LOVES it!  I mean the kid clearly has good taste.  

The first guest Rita Moreno

A few things about the first episode that stood out to me, the opening theme sequence was different, it wasn't the established one that I grew up on.  A random Muppet that was dancing with Animal in a ballroom skit had the voice that would eventually be synonymous with Miss Piggy.  Miss Piggy looks different and had a different voice at the beginning of the episode in two skits but had her normal voice by the end, she's not a star but a supporting character.  Janice's voice is also different.  Skooter wasn't in the episode either, he appears in episode 2.  

Until Next Time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment